The legal and sensible way before getting a regular driver’s license is to have a student driver permit first. A student permit is basically a license for drivers who are just starting to learn to drive a vehicle.
Although, some impatient Filipinos prefer the shortcut but illicit way of obtaining a regular driver’s license. Not only is this illegal, it can also potentially result to problems in the future. If these newbie drivers already have a regular license, they think they’re licensed also to do what an experienced driver does. But we all know what usually happens to a person with a lack of knowledge who thinks they’re already experts.
There are two type of applicants, one for Filipinos and non-Filipinos (foreigners).
Prepare P500, although it will cost not more than this amount.
- Must be at least seventeen (17) years old.
- Must be physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle.
- Must be able to read and write in Filipino or english or the applicable local dialect; and
- In addition, for foreigners, the applicant must be eighteen (18) years old and must have been in the Philipppines for at least one (1) year from date of application.
1. STUDENT PERMIT FOR FILIPINOS/FOREIGNERS
- Duly accomplished Application form for Driver’s License (ADL);
- Original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by National Statistics Office (NSO);
- If below eighteen (18) years of age, original copy of parental/guardian’s consent with original and photocopy of one (1) valid government issued Identification Card containing the signature of the consenting parent/guardian; and
- Medical Certificate issued by any licensed practicing physician stating that the applicant is physically and mentally fit to operate a motor vehicle or otherwise stating his/her impairment.
- In addition, for foreigners, original and photocopy of passport with entry date of at least one (1) month and visa duration of at least one (1) year from date of application, or if born in the Philippines, present original and photocopy of birth certificate duly authenticated by the NSO.
The applicant shall submit all the documentary requirements to the receiving personnel
- Receiving personnel shall check only the completeness of the documennts required and transmit the same to an evaluator.
- The Evaluator shall evaluate the qualifications of the applicant and, if qualified, encode the application in the system.
- After encoding, the appliccation shall be approved by the Approving Officer.
Upon approval, the applicant shall be called for photo and signature taking.
The applicant shall be called to pay the required fees to the Cashier.
The SP Card with the Officcial Receipt shall be released to the applicant, who shall be required to write his/her name and affix his/her signature in the appropriate Release Form.
- A reviewer containing all possible questions in the examintions for issuance of an NPDL, PDL and Conductor’s License shall be given to the applicant together with SP Card.
The application and issuance of an SP shall be done at any LTO Licensing Center and District/Extension Office.